Sunday, August 5, 2018

Resin Coffee Table Project

Hello! 
Since this project is going to be multiple steps over the next day or two, I thought I would utilize my blog! shocking!*!*@*@!!!

This project begins with a coffee table I found that had good bones and a nice surface to work on.  If it sucks in the end, I am not out a lot of money!  Plus, I love recycling , repurposing,  upcycling!!

Here is the picture of the coffee table as we were sanding it....I almost forgot to take a picture!
It is about 4 ft across.

The next step was to clean it off with a dry cloth and then we wiped it with a cloth dampened with alcohol so that we could spray paint it.  And by we, I mean my son, Michael!!  Hehehe!
As you can see, he wrapped up the legs to protect them.  They don't have any damage so I am thinking we will keep them black.
Once dry, we covered our floor with 3 layers of paper and brought it inside.  
The resin I am using is East Coast Crystal Clear Table Top Resin.
  It is a one to one mixing ratio and requires about 6 minutes of continuous mixing once poured together.
I used 16oz of epoxy and 16 oz of hardener which was a lot more than I needed.  Luckily I almost always have artwork waiting for a coat of resin and was able to utilize the excess.  This is just a kind of barrier coat, so no tinting requiredand it is a thin layer.  It is spread out over the top and torched to pop bubbles.
Now, I can take a break and mix my paint colors.  By the time I am done, it should be cured enough to withstand the first flood coat which will be timted with white acrylic paint.  I want the finished product to be a kind of white on white effect with gold highlights...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment